Monday, August 08, 2005

Hooray for the cops on this one


Late last night, as I was heading home to Quichapa Ranch, a real jerk was tail-gating a van full of tourists for a good 5 miles right in front of me on State Route 9. I mean he was literally riding their butt and constantly braking to keep from rear-ending them. I was half expecting an accident to occur as we made the steep and winding descent down the highway grade at LaVerkin, before it was finally noticed by a patrolman who pulled the dangerous driver over.

As it turns out the cop was two cars behind me and had witnessed the whole thing. He raced past me with lights and siren to stop jerkface as I pulled over behind the patrol car and waited for the officer to get out. When he emerged from his sedan I rolled down my window to tell him I was glad he had pulled this person over and that I hated all tail-gaters. I told him that I thought they were some of the most dangerous types of people around, because of the terrible consequences their behavior can cause to other innocent and safely driving people. He thanked me for stopping and I told him to have a nice night. Leaving the scene I hoped that he really stuck it to this aggressive driving idiot who had endangered many innocent lives for nothing.

Sometimes even a dyed-in-the-wool libertarian (like me) will dispense some well deserved praises for the police, especially when it comes to traffic rules designed to keep us safe at high speeds. In this case it was a dream come true to have this happen in the dead of the Utah night under a million sparkling stars.

No comments: