Monday, January 22, 2007

Blue Monday

Sunrise over Seagrove Beach

According to a news story I read today this is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year and has been given a name: Blue Monday. The article goes on to state that the reason for this particular day being the most depressing 24-hours of the year is: "Unpaid Christmas bills, nasty weather, and failed New Year's resolutions combine to make January 22 the gloomiest in the calendar."

Well I'm sorry to be so contrary, yet again, dear readers but I don't seem to be suffering from any of those maladies at the present moment. On the first count, I have no unpaid Christmas bills because I am way too cheap and miserly to incur them in the first place. If you got a Christmas card from me count yourself lucky!

As for the second element of gloom, I am fortunate to live in the beautiful state of Florida where the winter weather is some of the most pleasant and sublime in all the world. To know that this is true only requires that I go down to my local Wal-Mart parking lot and count all of the cars with licence plates hailing from Ontario, Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Illinois and Pennsylvania. Apparently there are some other folks that have figured out that you needn't be miserable in January if you know how to steer your car towards Dixie.

Finally, I've never been one to go and burden myself with a lot of silly New Year's resolutions. When I see the need for a change in the way I live or how I relate to others then I decide to make it when it needs to be done. Of course, I often need a little prodding, just ask my wife, but wholesale changes should be made as the need arises.

I never have understood this "I'll quit smoking after New Year's" or "I plan on joining a fitness club after I finish gorging myself at this holiday revel. Burp." This has always seemed ridiculous to me and I rarely have seen anyone follow through with these type of resolutions. They always seem to have the seeds of their own destruction built right in when they're formulated in such a manner. I would suggest that one never make promises to oneself while nursing a hangover.

So let me conclude with a heartfelt thank goodness for the 24-hour news cycle and the wonderfully silly stories that keep it full. I hope y'all have a Happy and Bright Blue Monday! Cheers!


Sunset on Western Lake

1 comment:

beamis said...

Happy Birthday Larry!