Thursday, November 01, 2007

Pecan Pie again


It's pecan pie time again here in the Deep South and I'm sharing my recipe, which I published last year in a similar blog post. I found it in a fifty-year old copy of Gourmet magazine (November 1956) that I bought at a library book sale in Utah.

As I mentioned before it is important to use a good quality cane syrup if you can find one. Most brands that are available in major chain grocery stores use a mix that often blends in corn syrup or dextrose, which is not as good as 100% cane syrup.


I bought the above jar in Louisiana at a country produce market and am always on the lookout for the "real thing" when traveling throughout the South. There is a wonderful roadside market on U.S. Hwy. 27 in Lamont, Florida where I can reliably obtain pure cane syrup that is locally produced. They also sell white chocolate covered pecans to die for!

So have at it you busy bakers out there, nothing puts the folks at home in a better mood than the sweet smell of freshly baked pecan pie wafting through the corridors of the house. You'll always attract a crowd around the oven, mark my words.

Southern Pecan Pie

Boil 1.5 cups of cane syrup with 1 cup of sugar for about 2 minutes, or until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved. Slowly add the hot syrup to 4 beaten eggs, stirring constantly. Add 1/4 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1.5 cups of coarsely broken pecans, and stir well. Turn the mixture into an unbaked pie shell and bake pie in a moderate oven (350 F) for about 45 minutes, until the shell is browned, the filling is set, and a knife inserted near the center comes out dry.

No comments: